Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Heroics have begun!

As I've alluded to in my past couple of posts, I did my first Heroic run last weekend. The Daily was for Slave Pens, and I'm still locked out of Kara until Wednesday, so I figured it would be worth a shot.

Heroics are actually easier than I expected. For a Shadowpriest, you really aren't doing anything different. In a nutshell, Heroics make the group coordinate and work together better than Regulars where you can get away with winging it. Thus, if you are an “always bring your A-game” kind of person anyway, Heroics won't give you any problems.

It's oh so nice that everyone gets badges every time. Badge gear is still wicked expensive — figure no less than 6 to 8 full Heroics before you get to the first gear, and weeks of farming before you get to the really awesome stuff. But I'll still take that over the drama and chance of farming for loot. (Even with as lucky as I have been with Kara.)

Just one piece of advice: Take the time to get all of the keys before you PUG any of the Heroics. The keys aren't hard to get, especially now with the lowered rep requirements. If you've been following normal progression, you probably already have enough rep to get all of them.

But when you go for that first Heroic PUG, you don't want to walk through the instance portal and not zone in. It's embarrassing. Trust me. Get all of the keys and you won't have to worry what the daily is or what groups are just looking for one more DPS/CC and if you can get in or not.

How do you know if you're ready? In case you missed it in my last post, you are “Heroic-geared” when you are greenless, hit-capped, and sitting on roughly 750-800 unbuffed spell damage. By the time you've gotten your keys and have run Kara a few times, you're probably ready.

3 comments:

Ho Ho said...

"In case you missed it in my last post, you are “Heroic-geared” when you are greenless, hit-capped, and sitting on roughly 750-800 unbuffed spell damage."

Well, it isn't that simple I would say. Color is not the best way to compare item values.

My lock does have three epics (engi helm, FSW boots&shoulders) but has tons of greens and couple of bues while still having >700 unbuffed spelldamage. Two pretty nice pieces I have been wearing from levels 63/64 are Neherweave pants and Neherweave Gloves. For the two pieces I have a total of 88 spelldamage with the set bonus. I've seen several blues for the slots but nothing so far that I'd use to replace those two. Only problem is those pieces don't have any stats besides stamina.

apanthropesp said...

I should have clarified that I was speaking directly to SPriests, not necessarily every class. You are right that it's not that simple ... but it is close enough.

For SPriests, you certainly could come up with a contrived example of how you are ready to run Heroics in all greens. Indeed, I started running them before I was completely greenless. Contrived examples are just silly. I'm talking realistic expectations here.

As I said in my full post on the subject, you can get away with crappy gear to start with if you have a good group that can take up your slack. But if you intend to PUG the daily Heroic every day you are going to have a lot more success if you are adequately geared, and can take up the slack for others. It's the difference between a mediocre group that takes 2-2.5 hours to clear the Daily, and a well-geared group that can do it in 45 minutes.

For PUGging SPriests with non-twinked gear, they'll start to feel comfortable about being a part of the team (and not just dead weight being dragged around for free badges) around the time they get rid of their last green and hit 750-800 spell damage.

Ho Ho said...

"I should have clarified that I was speaking directly to SPriests, not necessarily every class."

So was I. I brought my alt-lock as an example just because when I was gearing my main SP didn't know about how good the green Netherweave 2-piece set was :)