Wednesday, June 18, 2008

First Kara Run

I just logged out of my first Kara run. I think we ran for just about 4.5 hours. We downed Attumen, the Maiden of Virtue, Moroes, the Big Bad Wolf, and the Curator. We made a decent attempt at Nightbane before we wiped and the MT disconnected. We gave up for the night after a wipe on the Shade of Aran.

And I didn't see half of the dungeon. Wow. I don't know how people do full clears in one sitting.

Everything went by too fast for me to really absorb any of it. The people running the show called out basic instructions on Vent, and I shut up and listened. I apparently did well enough that when we left the main gate to head to the back entrance to hit up Nightbane, and of course I had to ask where the back entrance was, just about everyone in the group was audibly surprised that I had never been to Kara before.

So, yeah, I take that as a compliment.

Unfortunately, I don't think I am adequately geared for Kara just yet. I'm sitting at 650 spell damage unbuffed, getting to just over 700 with Blackened Basilisk and Superior Wizard Oil. On bosses that I could go all out without having to run around I was managing roughly 600DPS. That's okay, but it's just not enough for the heavy hitters like Nightbane. This lack of DPS translated into a lack of mana to my party members, and it was definitely noticed in the longer fights. I did okay, but I certainly didn't do great.

Realistically, I think I'd want to be at 800 spell damage before I give Kara more than just a novelty attempt. Maybe by the time I finish the Kara attunement quests and get the key (I am only on The Second and Third Fragments right now) I will be more appropriately geared?

On the upside, I did pick up 9 Badges of Justice and a set of Harbinger Bands. The bracers were only a minor upgrade, but every little bit helps, right? I also managed to work my way to Friendly with the Violet Eye.

No comments: